Archive for June 2007


Tuesday, June 26th, 2007

Injury Update: Moises & Pedro

Mets Rumors & News

Will Moises Alou ever return? With the time he’s spent on the disabled list this season, some fans have begun to wonder. But no need to worry; it appears the outfielder’s return may at last be on the horizon. Alou is scheduled to meet with team doctor David Altcheck on Monday to see how his ailing quad is doing. Mets General Manager Omar Minaya doesn’t seem too worried.

“All the reports are that he’s feeling good.”

This is good news for the Mets, who could sorely use Alou’s bat in the lineup. Minaya did go on to say that if the exam goes well and Alou is cleared to play he would miss an additional two weeks to get into game shape.

Pedro Martinez is scheduled to throw off the mound today in what should be his last session. What’s up next? Batting practice. Pedro is recovering from rotator cuff surgery, and all signs are pointing to an August return.

Once they’re both …

Lo Duca to Sit Two Games

Mets Rumors & News

Bob Watson has spoken. Major League Baseball’s Vice-President of On-Field Operations has suspended catcher Paul Lo Duca two games and fined him $2,000 for a meltdown on Saturday. In the sixth inning of Saturday’s game Lo Duca argued a strike-two call and was ejected. Upon his ejection Lo Duca completely lost it, throwing his bat and helmet. When he was finally restrained and taken to the dugout, Lo Duca decided to throw his shin guards on the field.

“I messed up, bottom line,” Lo Duca said yesterday. “Obviously I overreacted. And that’s that.”

This is the first time in his career Lo Duca has been suspended. He has appealed the suspension, meaning he can play until he meets with the league and a decision is made. Ramon Castro will take over the catching duties if Lo Duca must sit.

Monday, June 25th, 2007

Mets Looking At Contreras; Buehrle Could Swap Sox

Mets Rumors & NewsYankees Rumors & News

Over the weekend, White Sox general manager Ken Williams evidently decided that enough is enough, declaring that he’s tired of waiting for his underachieving team to turn its season around. Following a sweep at the hands of the crosstown rival Cubs, Williams stated, “Change needs to happen and change is going to happen.”

Last week we told you that Williams was rumored to be ready to start the sweepstakes for Mark Buehrle and Jermaine Dye, among others. Now it seems those talks can begin in earnest. ESPN.com’s Buster Olney had reported that the Mets and White Sox had a “natural framework in place” for a Buehrle-for-Lastings Milledge swap, however, last Thursday the Times’ Jack Curry reported that Mets GM Omar Minaya has no interest in trading a player like Milledge or Carlos Gomez for a rental such as Buehrle, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

But according to the Star-Ledger’s Dan Graziano, the team could be more inclined to …

Embarrassing

Yankees Rumors & News

(Robert Galbraith/Reuters)Via Lee Jenkins of the New York Times:

[Barry] Bonds stole a base, scored twice on sacrifice flies, dashed from first to third on a single, and even flagged down a drive in the left-field corner, sparking a 7-2 victory against the Yankees.

He also slapped Derek Jeter in the face at 2nd base for good measure. No, really.

NLCS Revisted

Mets Rumors & News

The St. Louis Cardinals are in town tonight to open a four game series against the Mets. This is the first time the defending World Champions have returned to Shea since October 19, 2006: Game 7 of the National League Championship Series. Mets fans remember that fateful day well when Cardinals Pitcher Adam Wainwright struck out Carlos Beltran on a called third strike, sending them to the World Series.

The 33-39 Cardinals look like a shell of that team that went on to win the World Series. Losing 2/5 of their rotation to free agency in the offseason, and with ace Chris Carpenter sidelined for a majority of the season, the Cardinals have failed to get it going. Though the Cardinals have a sub-.500 record, the Mets know they’re no push-over.

“Well, we know we still got the taste from last year,” said second baseman Jose Valentin, who went 3-for-4 yesterday, including a three-run homer. “And we haven’t seen (the Cardinals) since Opening Day, and that’s a long …

How Sweep It Is

Mets Rumors & News

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)This weekend the Mets played like the team the fans have been expecting, sweeping a three-game series with the Oakland Athletics. This marks the first sweep at Shea Stadium for the Amazin’s this season.

How’d the Mets do it? Solid pitching and steady hitting at the plate. The Mets outscored the A’s 20-3 and out-hit them 32-19. Jose Valentin led the way, going three for seven in the series with three RBIs in Sunday’s game, and Jose Reyes stayed hot, batting .500 over the weekend. The starting pitching was flat-out dominating. Tom Glavine (who picked up career win 296), Orlando Hernandez, and John Maine went deep into each game, going at least seven innings.

This is quite a turn around for a team the lost it’s last 13 of 16 prior to Friday’s series opener. The Mets are heating up at the right time heading into the All-Star Break. With the Cardinals in town, the Mets will need to continue to …

Rangers Ready for Free Agency

Rangers Rumors & News

The Rangers will resume talks with center Michael Nylander this week. The two sides have not talked since the Rangers offered him a three-year $11.25 million offer. The Olympic gold medal-winning pivot has since changed agents, a sign that he is interested in more money. It is rumored that Nylander will command up to $20 million for a 4 year contract in the open market.Brendan Shanahan has said he has chosen to pass up retirement and play another season in the NHL. This is good news for Ranger fans as he stated that he has no interest in becoming a free agent. ‘I’m going to play next year and it is my intention to play for the Rangers,’ Shanahan told the NY Post.Shanahan certainly still has the ability to play at a top level, but still harbors concerns about giving it another shot. Suffering a concussion on Feb. 17 after colliding with the Flyer’s Mike Knuble …

Cold War Draft

Rangers Rumors & News

Cold War Draft: “Politics played a major role in this year’s NHL draft as the Rangers got what many considered to be the steal of the day when they selected a Russian forward at 17th overall.With the Rangers selecting late in the first round they were not expected to make an impact in what many considered a weak draft. That all changed when they selected forward Alexi Cherepanov with their first pick.Cherepanov was expected to go anywhere between 5th and 10th overall but slid all the way down to 17th amid fears that his Russian team would not release him to play in America. Many teams, not wanting to waste a top pick, passed up the opportunity to get the top-rated European in the draft.Not only do the Rangers feel confident that Cherepanov will be released from his team, the Daily News has reported that a deal may already be in place. ‘In this case, we have an agreement with …

Friday, June 22nd, 2007

Alou’s Status Leaving Omar’s Hands Tied

Mets Rumors & News

Via Newsday:

[Mets GM Omar] Minaya would like to trade for another bat to help his ailing lineup, but he’s still waiting on the status of Moises Alou, whose severe left quadriceps strain continues to mystify the team’s medical staff.

Until Minaya hears something definite on Alou – and that could be a while – it’s tough to ignore the $8.5-million investment for a short-term fix such as the Rangers’ Sammy Sosa or the Pirates’ Xavier Nady. The A’s designated Milton Bradley for assignment yesterday. The Mets inquired about the troubled outfielder in the past and may show interest this time, but he doesn’t seem like a good fit.

According to the Post’s Mark Hale, the Mets are leery of adding Bradley due to the baggage he carries. While the oft-troubled outfielder’s time in Oakland was relatively smooth, the A’s were reportedly worried that the waters could get rocky in a hurry with Bradley’s return from the DL and not enough playing time to go around.

Regardless, it is the third time …

Pelfrey Could See Spot Start in Philly

Mets Rumors & News

According to Newsday’s David Lennon, Mike Pelfrey’s second chance may have arrived. Pelfrey had been scheduled to pitch for AAA-New Orleans on Wednesday, but was bumped to tonight instead. The adjustment to the Zephyr’s rotation puts Pelfrey on turn for the Mets’ day-night doubleheader next week in Philadelphia.

Pelfrey is 2-1 with New Orleans, pitching to a 2.87 ERA despite allowing a discouraging 30 hits in 31.1 innings down there. More encouraging are the 14 strikeouts and just three walks he’s allowed over his last 11 innings of work.

Wilpon Won’t Free Willie; Skipper’s Job Is Safe

Mets Rumors & News

In the New York Daily News, Christian Red notes that the Mets are 4-14 in the month of June and have lost their last six consecutive series. It wasn’t long ago that that sort of inexcusably poor baseball was putting some people in the Bronx on a “big hook” according to the owner.

But across town, Mets ownership isn’t about to get out their fishing rods. In Greenwich, Conn., for the “Teammates in the Community” fundraiser, Mets COO Jeff Wilpon expressed confidence in his team and his manager.

Wilpon on the Mets struggles:

We haven’t played well, but we’re still in first place (in the NL East). That’s what I make of it. If anybody would have had the magic button to push, it would have been done. You can see the frustration starting to mount, but nobody’s quitting.”

On Willie Randolph:

“I can tell you the best thing I’ve seen is how Willie has handled (the recent slump). The experience he had all those years in the Bronx, it’s time well spent for …

The Giambino to Spill Beans

Yankees Rumors & News

Via the Associated Press:

Jason Giambi will meet with George Mitchell, agreeing right before baseball commissioner Bud Selig’s deadline Thursday to cooperate with the steroids investigator.

Giambi will become the first active player known to speak with the former Senate majority leader. No date was set for their session….The former American League MVP said he wouldn’t implicate other players and appeared to backtrack on earlier remarks that the sport owed fans a collective apology for the steroids era.

“I alone am responsible for my actions and I apologize to the commissioner, the owners and the players for any suggestion that they were responsible for my behavior,” Giambi said in a statement.

Selig said the meeting with Mitchell will take place “promptly.” Following remarks by Giambi that seemed to be an admission of steroids use, the commissioner had threatened discipline if he didn’t talk to Mitchell.

Selig again left open the possibility of punishment.

“I will take Mr. Giambi’s level of cooperation into account in determining appropriate further action,” he said.

  • Press Harbor