Mets Rumors & News
This entry was posted on Monday, November 19th, 2007 at 1:49 pm and is filed under Baseball, Mets Rumors & News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

castillo.jpgSo much for David Eckstein. The Mets reached a preliminary agreement on Sunday night with second baseman Luis Castillo. The deal is reportedly for four years at $25 million. Given Castillo’s history of knee troubles (he moved with a pronounced limp during his tenure at Shea last season), you can’t like the number of years on the contract. However, given that Eckstein was said to be seeking a deal in line with the one Julio Lugo received from the Red Sox (four years, $36 million) last offseason, the price tag is easier to swallow. For what it’s worth, Castillo had surgery at the end of the season to clean up the bothersome knee and the Mets expect he will be healthy well before Spring Training.

Of course, given the drama that unfolded with catcher Yorvit Torrealba, I’m anxious to see when this announcement becomes official. Can you imagine negotiations breaking down on yet another “done deal”.

Meanwhile, in related news, Tom Glavine will be returning to the Braves on a one-year, $8 million contract. It’s a win-win for the Mets really, as it seems Tommy never really wanted to leave Atlanta, and Met fans never wanted him here. Hopefully the Amazin’s can enjoy the same sort of success against their former staff anchor that the Braves enjoyed during Glavine’s first few seasons in New York.

There are currently 7 responses to “Castillo Returns, Glavine Departs”

1. 1 On November 19th, 2007, Dean Barbella said:

This is the same Mets that couldn’t take a chance on Vladimir Guerrero’s back?

If we’re gonna have an All-Latin Team, then why can’t we have players who ain’t broken down: Castillo, Alou, Delgado.

I’m tired of Omar’s “Player-Devaluation” Tactics. Silly GM: Reading the Obituary Column for a Hand Me Downs is for Contenders, not losing teams like the Mets who need to gut this Bloated Fish like a Florida Marlin Firesale.

They can start by ripping up Omar’s Spanglish Contract and returning fan favorite Paul Lo Duca, so us fans can have some self esteem off the field while rebuilding. Last time Omar picked up a good player was Sammy Sosa slammin’ Singapore Slings in a Discoteque.

I’m tired of losing. I’m tired of watching post game interviews with english subtitles. I’m tired of the Wilpons. I’m tired of the Mets.

I havn’t been this Bitter. Bitter. Bitter, since Scott Kazmir debacle; and it’s not gonna get Better. Better. Better, until Owners and Managers are gone.

I’m returning to my Grandfather’s roots and a winning ownership. Meet the new Dodger’s fan!

2. 2 On November 20th, 2007, Robert Abruzzese said:

As a Yankee fan it feels like to me the Mets have returned to their 2004-2005 roots. To me there is no reason to think they will be better next year than they were this season.

3. 3 On November 20th, 2007, gozer said:

Dean…Rebuilding? You’re a nutcase, man. And since this team has been consistently winning more games than it ever has in the last decade, I’d hate to see how “tired” you were in 2002 or better yet, 1993…assuming you’re a true met fan who gutted it out through those dark and difficult seasons. I won’t even get into your racist ramblings.

As for Lo Duca, you’d be hard pressed to find a solitary Lo Duca jersey inside Shea Stadium. Well liked? Yes. Fan favorite? That’s a bit much. Joe McEwing was well liked as well, but I doubt many tears were shed when he left. Even if Ramon Castro is the starter, the catcher’s position is not going to make or break the 2008 season.

Rob…what do you mean by “returned to their roots”? 2005 was the year that Omar, Willie, Pedro, and Beltran all joined the franchise, putting together the franchise’s first winning season since 2001 and finishing 83-79 after going 71-91 in 2004. Are you implying this team will only win 83 games in ’08? Or worser still, just 71? Keep in mind, this is the same nucleus that won 97 games a year ago and were a game away from the World Series – advancing further than the Yankees have since 2004. Also keep in mind, it took an absurd 5-12 finish to scuttle this team, which still won 88 games – better than any team in the NL Central by the way.

This franchise should be embarrassed, no doubt about that, but let’s not rewrite history here. Sitting here today, the Mets rotation is better than it was a year ago because they’ve essentially replaced Tom Glavine with Pedro Martinez. The lineup is still amongst the best in baseball. The defense is gold glove caliber at numerous positions. Let’s be honest, in the National League, this could be a playoff team in ’08 even if Omar didn’t lift a finger the entire offseason. But of course, you know he will. Whether it’s Carlos Gomez for Matt Garza, Lastings Milledge for Joe Blanton, who knows what, the Mets will move to bolster this team. Because the goal next season isn’t just to qualify for the postseason. It’s to win World Series.

4. 4 On November 20th, 2007, Dean Barbella said:

Gozer,

I recommend that you download a web browser with tabs.

This way you can watch the Mets lose on MLB.tv as well as open WebMD.com to review all the geriatric injuries the Mets incur, because the best Minaya can do is throw Wilpon’s money at yesterday’s stars in the sunset years.

Also, I suggest that you try AltaVista Babel Fish translation so you can breakdown the Spanglish post game interviews and contracts for us.

I’m not racist. I want guys like Jose Reyes, Carlos Gomez and even Lastings Milledge. I want gritty youth with rock star charisma on and off the field.

If you identify with Delgado, Castillo and Alou, then go take your grand parents to the opera.

I get that Omar got Martinez to legitimize the team for other player acquisitions, but that was then and this is now.

Three to Four years later. We were too old to win two years ago without Martinez and El Duque. More of the same is literally lame. Keep Write, Reyes, Maine and get young like Colorado, Arizona.

Barbella

5. 5 On November 20th, 2007, gozer said:

btw, good luck with that “winning ownership”. the dodgers have been to the postseason twice in the last 11 years and haven’t won a playoff series since 1988.

6. 6 On November 20th, 2007, Dean Barbella said:

Gozer,

Haven’t your heard, Joe Torre’s the new Tommy Lasorda. Besides, “Meaningful Games” ain’t everything. Ironically, I’ll be in Chavez Ravine catching rays and Dodger Dogs, while you’ll be crying in your Los Mets Taco.

Enjoy watching washed up Latinos lose in Mets’ Thug Uniforms, Hip Hop Team Songs and Graffiti Marketing Font stolen from the Seven Train. I’ll be livin’ the American Dream in traditional Dodger Blue Pinstripes and Sunshine.

Go Dodgers!

PS: Maybe Colletti will bring back Piazza or Lo Duca?

7. 7 On November 21st, 2007, Rob Abruzzese said:

Well the reason I put in as a Yankee fan upfront was just to point out that I’m not paying attention to a lot of little details, but what I meant was before Wright and Reyes came into their own the Mets future looked pretty pathetic and it kind of looks like more of that. I like their lineup, but it is becoming less of a force in the NL. Delgado is in decline, Alou should spend most of his time on the DL again next year, Lo Duca was a big force for them in 06 was nothing in 07 and I felt like that was a big hit to them, he’s either going to get worse or replaced by someone who won’t match his 06 numbers.

Then there is the pitching staff. Sure Pedro will be back, but how many innings do you think he is capable of next season? I’m guessing 180 if you are extremely lucky probably mor elike 150. While I like Perez I think you’ve seen the best of him. It is not like he’s going to be Pedro one day. Maine may be as good next season, but even that is not guaranteed he might be better and might be worse. Besides that as it stands they need a lot of help, Humber? Pelfrey? I don’t think the Mets are going to do much if they have to expect 200 innings out of these guys.

What are they going to do to fix this? El Duque might be 50 by now and the other free agent starters are terrible.

That’s the way it looks as a Yankee fan, but I’m at the disadvantage because I half heartedly follow trade rumors and know nothing about their minor league starters. Educate me I am more than willing to admit that I am wrong, but that picture looks bleek. At least they have Wright and Reyes.