Mets Rumors & News
This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 at 11:16 am and is filed under Baseball, Mets Rumors & News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Willie Randolph has taken more than his fair share of heat during his tenure as Mets manager. Whether it be for the  mis-management of the bullpen or for not being very adept at the fine art of the double switch. But for most fans, the biggest complaint about the Randolph era has been his lack of motivational skills. Inspiring players and building up their confidence. Giving his team that swagger that the ’86 Mets were so famous for.
randolph_1.jpg
During last years collapse, while speaking during post game interviews, the expression on Willie’s face and his speech never changed. He never gave any evidence that showed how he felt about his teams struggles or to let the fans know that what the Mets were doing was not alright. It seemed, from the outside looking in, that the team took on the lifeless demeanor of its manager.

Even though it may be way overdue, Randolph finally openly criticized this team and made it seem like he would not just settle for the sloppy play the Mets have shown. After the recent 9-7 loss to the Brewers Randolph told reporters:

“Too many opportunities wasted,” Randolph said with disgust after the Mets hit into five double plays. “Just a sloppy game, the kind of games we can’t have. It was one of those giveaway games, and we’ve got to be better than that.”

David Wright backed Randolph’s “rant”:

“Willie is angry and the clubhouse is angry,” said David Wright, who hit his 100th career homer in the first but left five men on base the rest of the way. “It’s frustrating. We know that, to compete in this division, we’re going to have to play better baseball.”

Even though we all know that Willie is not the second coming of Billy Martin, maybe Randolph will finally let us see the side of him we have all been waiting for.

There are currently 12 responses to “Willie Finally Opens His Mouth”

1. 1 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

I kind of don’t get this article? Is there something wrong with a manager not projecting his emotions? I think you put it best when you said we are on the “outside looking in.” I appreciate it when a manager does not give the press anything to go on. I am sure all of the players in the clubhouse know exactly how Willie feels, now and in past seasons as well, and that is what matters.

2. 2 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

And don’t get me wrong, I am a Billy Martin fanatic. I am also a Joe Torre fanatic. And when I coach teams myself, it is hard for me to act less like Torre than Martin, not to compare myself to either. That said, I don’t see anything wrong with carrying either’s demeanor and composure, especially when the press is involved.

3. 3 On April 15th, 2008, Alex G. said:

See, the problem with Randolph is that he is trying to be Torre. Even to the extent of tiring out the bullpen. It drives all the Mets fans I know up a wall not seeing Willie lighting a fire under the players. And Willie does give the press something to go on but what he says always puts the Mets in negative light. After Ollie Perez went 5 2/3 shutout innings 2 starts ago Willie ripped into Perez to reporters. For what reason? I couldn’t tell you. When he was asked about the hot hitting Angel Pagan, Willie told reporters “he’s just a back-up player”. Now tell me, do you want your manager saying that about you?

4. 4 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

First of all, what manager does not tire out the bullpen in today’s game? This is a common Torre criticism, but it has more to do with the state of the game than with Torre.

Maybe you don’t see Willie lighting a fire under his players, but that doesn’t mean that he does not inspire them and get them going. I can not judge a manager by what he does not say to the press.

As far as the “just a back-up player,” if this is a typical Willie comment, than you have a case about something. But I would hope that it is an isolated event.

I also don’t know what he said about Perez, but he knows Perez better than you or I do.

A manager just needs to say enough to the press to make them not bother his players and go away. If a manager does this well, and I think Willie is great, a fan should appreciate it.

5. 5 On April 15th, 2008, gozer said:

i thought the same thing when i first heard the Perez comments (that willie knows better than we do), however after watching Ollie go out in his next start and completely crap the bed, I’m not so sure…

on a related note, he loves saying “I have my finger on the pulse of my team” when he does interviews with wfan. it drives me nuts. it was particularly irritating to listen to last september.

he also like saying “not necessarily,” even in instances where it makes no sense. For example: Q – “Willie, are you excited for this series against the Phillies?” A – “Not necessarily, not necessarily.”

Am I a fan of Willie Randolph?

Sometimes…but not necessarily.

6. 6 On April 15th, 2008, Alex G. said:

Enrico, if you watched this team last year, it was evident to fans that Willie was not pushing the right buttons. If he was pushing any buttons at all. Look at the Phillies, these guys have a ton of heart and a ton of spirit. Yes, obviously most of it is due to the players but the manager does have something to do with it. Am I saying Charlie Manuel is a better manager than Randolph? No. Do I like how Fiery Manuel is? Yes

7. 7 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

I would hope that I could have enough discipline to give the press nothing, while really wanting to tell them to f*ck themselves.

So he gives a bad interview. Oh well. He is also a great manager, and says cool things like, “Florida doesn’t like us. Fine. I don’t like them either.”

8. 8 On April 15th, 2008, Alex G. said:

Calling him a great manager is a little much. I think he is a decent manager. Nothing spectacular. I mean, he did get passed up 11 times for a reason right?

9. 9 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

Hey, I like Willie, that’s all. And from growing up watching him play, and seeing him in the dugout all these years as a coach and manager, I know he is a baseball intellect and has as strong a desire to win as anyone. I would think that projects on to his players, and he puts on a mask when he speaks to the press, as I feel he should.

10. 10 On April 15th, 2008, Alex G. said:

Well, I hope your right but only time will tell

11. 11 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

Well he could have been passed up for any number of reasons, namely that most Exec’s in this game don’t know anything about baseball, or that he simply had not managed before.

12. 12 On April 15th, 2008, Enrico Palazzo said:

Joe Torre is spectacular.