Yankees Rumors & News
This entry was posted on Friday, May 9th, 2008 at 11:38 am and is filed under Baseball, Yankees Rumors & News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Is it possible to see David Wells come back to Yankee Stadium one more time? According to the NY Post,Wells wants to come back and Hank Steinbrenner is a fan of his.

Wells went unsigned over the winter but continues to throw to his son’s high school baseball team to keep in shape.

“I’m in shape, I’d just have to fine-tune a couple of things,” Wells said. “I’d need a little bit of time, but not much. Physically I feel fine, real good.”

davidwells-nyy2.JPGDavid pitched for the Bombers from 1997-98 and 2002-2003. In ’98 Wells pitched a perfect game at the Stadium against the Minnesota Twins. He is beloved by most Yankee fans, although David did raise some eyebrows in Yankeeland. He took himself out of Game 4 of the 2003 World Series with a back injury, which forced Joe Torre to put in Jose Contreares in the game for a second consecutive night. That game was lost in extra innings when Torre summoned Jeff Weaver in and he promptly served up the game winning homerun. In 2005, Boomer signed with the rival Boston Red Sox, a move in which he once stated he would never do.

“New York has always been the favorite of all my stops,” Wells said. “When I got traded, I was bitter. When they didn’t re-sign me, I was bitter, but I know that wasn’t the Yankees, everything was Joe Torre. I wasn’t one of his boys. I don’t think he liked the way I lived my life or that I spoke my mind.”

Wells would welcome the idea of pitching under his former catcher Joe Girardi. Hank admits he’s given Wells some consideration concerning a return.

“Obviously, he’ll always be a Yankee to me,” Steinbrenner said. “I’ve thought about it…..I saw him on TV, and I did think about it when I was watching.You never know,” Steinbrenner said. [Wells] hasn’t come up in conversation, but I’ve had so much other [bleep] to deal with lately.”

Wells also stated he believes the Yankees have nothing to lose if they were to resign Wells. I agree. He’s a lefty with expirence in New York and might still be able to pitch that big game they need. Whether David can prove to be useful in his mid-40’s is another story. I don’t think he can do much worse than Phil Hughes and his 0-4 9.00 ERA or Ian Kennedy’s 0-3 8.37 ERA.

Give the guy a chance, you never know what you might get. I think the Yanks should take advantage of this situation while the time is right. This Wells-Yankee love affair could take on some stem if fill ins Darell Rasner and Kei Igawa struggle in their starts. As I always like to say, stranger things have happened, so the idea of Wells coming back may seem outrageous at first, but think about it…it could very well be what the Yanks need. I would love to see Boomer back, let’s see if the door opens for a return to the House That Ruth Built.

There are currently 12 responses to “David Wells Bronx Bound?”

1. 1 On May 9th, 2008, Ed said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Wells is a waste of time. What is he, 44? How long has it been since he was REALLY any good? Several years. Last year in the NL his ERA was over 5.00. The Yankees can get the same — or more — from Darrell Rasner. Wells is exactly the kind of guy the Yankees need to stop signing. Overpaid, under-produtive old guy just looking to cash one more Steinbrenner check. I say stay away from this guy.

2. 2 On May 9th, 2008, Frank Negron Jr. said:

i tend to agree to a certain extent. he may have some life left. i like to stay optimistic so i see it doin more good than it does harm for the team. or wat about have him in the pen as a lefty specialist? lol. if he doesnt perform then get rid of him but i rather see him than see igawa!!

3. 3 On May 9th, 2008, Ed said:

Believe it or not, I would rather see Igawa. Really, the Yankees have $46 million committed to the guy. You can’t just bury him at AAA and pay him for nothing. Gotta try and find out if he can help you at all.

4. 4 On May 9th, 2008, gozer said:

Oh my goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic – David Wells is standing in Hank Steinbrenner’s box. Wells is in Hank’s box, of all the dramatic things!

Seriously though, the last time I watched Wells pitch consistently was during his stint with the Red Sox. He was solid in the early going, but his career really went south in a hurry. By the end he was just a complete tub of lard, couldn’t stay healthy, couldn’t throw his curveball for strikes, couldn’t throw his fastball with any velocity.

And besides, Hank wants Joba in the rotation. You can’t have both. For starters, they’d devour everything in the clubhouse. Or perhaps that Dellucci bomb change Hank’s mind?

5. 5 On May 9th, 2008, Thomas Magnum said:

Hey guys, wait a minute. Koufax is alive. If we’re gonna do this, let’s do it right. OK fine, you want a beloved Yankee. Goose? How about Ford?

6. 6 On May 9th, 2008, Bill J said:

Whats the big deal…give him a try why we are figuring out what happened to Generation X…while Phils healing and Ians getting the stars out of his head….

Now hears a novel idea….500k for every win…plus all you can eat and drink…..well maybe not drink …Boomer could break the bank….

7. 7 On May 9th, 2008, Ray said:

Yes…the Yanks need this…kennedy, igawa..those guy are not getting it done for the Yanks….what happen to the Yanks?? They should have traded or dealt for better pitching…these guys they have now really suck and the batters are not doing that well either…c’mon Yanks

8. 8 On May 10th, 2008, Frank Negron Jr. said:

now that igawa offically sucks again in 2008, i think this wells idea is not out of the question as i stated. ANYONE is better than igawa!

9. 9 On May 10th, 2008, Rob Abruzzese said:

I jumped off the Wells bandwagon in 2003. Am I supposed to believe he can now do the job 5 years later? I don’t think so.

10. 10 On May 10th, 2008, Ed Valentine said:

Igawa, obviously, can’t do it. But, a 45-year-old guy who hasn’t been good for several years? C’mon! That’s a step backward.

11. 11 On May 11th, 2008, Brian said:

I think It would be great for David Wells returned to the Yankees because he said if he stunk they could release him I am sure he will be better than Pay Igawa

12. 12 On May 22nd, 2008, Patrick said:

I think it is a tremendous idea. Yes, Boomer Wells is past his prime and just turned 45 years old. But, if you look at the alternatives, signing Wells for the remainder of the season is not a bad investment. He will give the Yankees what they so desparately need – advice for their young pitchers, experience in the postseason, and innings. With the way Darrell Rasner is pitching, Wells could anchor the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation and would give the Yankees five good starting pitchers in Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, Rasner, and Wells. It is not something to brush off to the side too quickly. I think the Yankees would be ignorant not to give this some thought.