Mets Rumors & NewsYankees Rumors & News
This entry was posted on Monday, July 14th, 2008 at 10:20 pm and is filed under Baseball, Mets Rumors & News, Yankees Rumors & News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

A few New York baseball thoughts while cursing the mythical “sick passenger” on the F train…

It was great of Billy Wagner to let us know (via an article by ESPN.com writer Jason Stark) what the root of the New York Mets’ problems were earlier this season:

“I don’t want to bash Willie, because I liked him, Billy Wagner said. “But before, it was more of The Yankee Way. It wasn’t The Mets Way. There was no facial hair. You could never have music in the clubhouse. You couldn’t have kids around. Believe it or not, some of us in here actually like kids.”

So it was the lack of facial hair and children in the clubhouse. Of course!! And I thought the problem was lack of production from the middle of the line-up. Silly me.

Speaking of Wagner, I still don’t trust him late in the game against good teams.

Call him a baby, say he pouts, doesn’t foucs, whatever…At the break, Jose Reyes is second in the National League in hits, fourth in runs scored and eighth in total bases. Throw in 32 steals and 42 RBI and Mets fans should really stop complaining about the guy. At this pace, he could make 30 errors this season and it wouldn’t bother me.

Ramon Castro should be catching 65-70% of the games for the Mets. Offensively he is light years ahead of Brian Schneider. I still don’t see all the fuss about Schneider’s defense.

Give me Howie Rose on WFAN over Gary, Keith and Ron on SNY any day of the week.

Radical idea that’s not that radical: While Johnny Damon is injured; Joe Girardi should consider moving Bobby Abreu into the lead off spot. Abreu’s lifetime OBP of .405 makes him much more of a table setter than the inexperienced Brett Gardner or the light-hitting Melky Cabera. Plus, while Abreu physically has the look of a middle-of- the-order masher, he has hit over 20 homeruns only once in the past 4 seasons. Not exactly Reggie Jackson numbers, especially for a lefty in Yankee Stadium. When Damon is back, Girardi could also consider Abreu in the #2 hole and drop Derek Jeter down to 3rd in the order. Idealy you want more power in the from your number 3 hitter, but with Damon and Abreu on base, Jeter could drive in 100 runs without using the long ball, the same way Tommy Herr did in 1985.

In the first half of the season, Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte have shown why 9 times out of 10, it’s better to go with veteran starting pitchers than inexperienced throwers. Count me as one of the many who thought both of these guys were done. However they’ve kept the Yankees in contention, keeping the team in ball games almost every time they take the mound. If the Bombers can get anything out of back of the rotation, whether through a trade or from players already on the roster, they should be in the hunt for the Wildcard.

Bashing Alex Rodriguez for not participating in the Home Run Derby is absurd. For guys who aren’t hackers like Ryan Howard, the Derby affects a hitter’s swing. Just ask David Wright.

Has Major League Baseball checked Jason Giambi’s mustache yet for HGH yet? How about his thong? How else can you explain his comeback?

I’ve always thought Robinson Cano was a tad overrated, but he’s a better hitter than he’s shown so far. He should give the Yanks a boost in the second half of the season.

Evaluating him like a normal second year player and not Superman, Joba Chamberlain has pitched pretty well. While long term he has more value as a starter than a reliever/closer, for this season, I still think the Yankees will get burned in the 7th and 8th inning.

R.I.P. Bobby Murcer.

There are currently 13 responses to “Baseball Musings at the Break”

1. 1 On July 14th, 2008, J Atwood said:

Every time that idiot speaks I am reminded why I am so happy you guys picked him up and took him off our hands. Thanks again.

2. 2 On July 15th, 2008, Kwame Flaherty said:

Yea Wagner is not exactly my favorite Met.

3. 3 On July 15th, 2008, gozer said:

nor mine…however in this instance, i’m glad he opened his mouth. I think there are a lot of things that Willie would do differently if he could do it all over.

4. 4 On July 15th, 2008, J Platt said:

What exactly is “The Mets Way”?

Also, how does Billy-boy know what “The Mets Way” is, since the only manager he played for as a member of the Mets is Willie Randolph. Sure he’s played for Jerry Manuel since Randolph’s dismissal, but what does Manuel know about “The Mets Way”, considering he wsan’t a member of the Mets prior to Randolph’s tenure.

5. 5 On July 15th, 2008, J Atwood said:

How could Wagner possibly know anything since he spends all of his time with his head shoved up his a$$?

6. 6 On July 15th, 2008, gozer said:

There is no “Mets Way.” That’s why Met teams are forever struggling to find their identity. HOWEVER, just about the only thing we do know about the Mets Way is that it is not the Yankee Way. And trust me, when Willie came in talking about professionalism and banning facial hair, it rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way, myself included. If you’re a Met fan, you don’t want to be like the Yankees in any respect. Heck, you don’t even want to win as much as the Yankees have won, because then you’d be just as spoiled and obnoxious as the rest of the baseball fans in New York. Clearly facial hair isn’t the deciding factor between wins and losses, but what exactly was Willie’s point by bringing these restrictions into his clubhouse? Didn’t he realize it would tick off a lot of people? Right until the end, Willie seemed to struggle to realize how his actions would be perceived. He always seemed caught off guard by his critics, and that, ultimately, may have been his undoing. You can laugh off Wagner all you want, but tell me, why did half the dressing room grow beards when Willie was fired? It doesn’t exactly strike me a show of support for their fallen manager.

7. 7 On July 15th, 2008, kjf said:

I think Willie’s point in doing some of these things was to send a message about the team being disciplined/professional. The Mets were viewed as a team that was run by the players and not focused on the game and I think he wanted to change all of that. Its funny, because during last season’s collapse, Randolph was painted as a guy who wasn’t involved enough or hard enough on the team. “He’s too laid back” the media said, and Wagner echoed these statements with regard on how he treated Millage and Reyes.

That’s why I think Wagner is just a blow hard. Last year he was too laid back, this year he’s too tight. What was he 2006?

8. 8 On July 15th, 2008, gozer said:

I think it’s too different things. A guy can be strict and too uptight but also lack passion and urgency.

9. 9 On July 15th, 2008, J Atwood said:

Yea because Mets fans aren’t obnoxious at all.

10. 10 On July 15th, 2008, gozer said:

Actually, if you scroll through this conversation, there’s only one type of fan that’s conducted himself in obnoxious fashion. I’ll give you a hint: It rhymes with Phillies.

11. 11 On July 15th, 2008, Phillip Bausk said:

wouldn’t it rhyme with like billies? and the actual answer be phillies?

12. 12 On July 15th, 2008, gozer said:

that’s the joke. Dirty Work reference.

13. 13 On July 15th, 2008, J Atwood said:

I didn’t say I wasn’t being obnoxious or that Phillies fans aren’t obnoxious. But you certainly can’t sit there and say with a straight bearded face that Mets fans aren’t obnoxious. I have several Mets fans friends and several Yankees fans friends and the Mets fans are way more obnoxious than the Yankees fans.

Yankees fans just can’t be bothered with fans of other teams. Mets fan have to both fans of other teams. That’s the difference.